Friday, June 11, 2010

Gifts




I received this necklace of beads today from a young girl. I told her that I could not accept it and that she should pass it onto someone special, a friend. Her response was , " I don't have any friends". She is 18 yrs. old and trying to finish grade 9. She had been bullied and had gone in and out of school and was now trying to finish her education. I put the necklace aside and I found out that she had a sister who was 15 when she had her first baby, and her cousins had their babies at 13 and 14 years old. She promised her mom that she would wait till she was 25 to have her babies.
We talked about crafts and creativity, I always try to encourage the young girls to be creative, it is an outlet, a strength , a way to work on self esteem, an individuality. I told her that she could do anything that she put her mind to ( my parents always instilled that in me and it made me strong-thanks mom and dad xo ), she told me that she was a quick learner...
I feel that this young girl has a lot of obstacles in her life and has a tough road ahead. At the end of our time together, I took her beads and I removed my bangles , 1 sterling silver and 1 copper that I made, from my wrist and gave them to her, she instantly put them on and left with a small smile on her face.



Go and be creative girl... be strong and believe in yourself.
xo
( mixed metal Mimi )

No comments:

Post a Comment